Summer is upon us and the hot humid days are here. While we are all out and being active in the few short months of sun that we get, it is important to remember that we need to be properly hydrated. But what is the real value of proper hydration to the human body?
Studies show that proper hydration not only quenches your thirst, but allows your body to perform at optimum levels. Being properly hydrated allows for the flushing of toxins from your body, supports the integrity of muscles, joints and bones and also supports proper brain functions.
As a general rule the body requires roughly 2 liters of water a day. Remember that being active out in the heat and humidity may require you to drink more in order to ensure proper hydration. Replenishing those liquids is vital especially if you are exercising or participating in more rigorous activities.
Here are some tips to keep in mind so that you can stay properly hydrated.
- Keep a bottle of water with you throughout your daily activities. This doesn’t just mean when you are exercising, but having a bottle with you at your desk or in the car as you drive can ensure that you are staying hydrated all day.
- Begin your exercise routine by drinking water or your favorite sports energy drink. This ensures that your muscles are well hydrated before beginning your activities, which allows for less likely hood of cramps.
- Do not substitute alcohol or caffeine for water. When you are thirsty, your body is craving hydration, alcohol and caffeine only make your body more thirsty and provide no nutrients into your system.
- When out in the sun, keep in mind that your body sweats from 0.5L/hour to 2.5L/hour depending on your exposure to sunlight and the activity that you are doing. Make sure to replenish that at your first opportunity.
- Don’t be a hero. During the 2010 World Cup of Soccer play was halted many times to ensure that players were properly hydrated in the extreme heat and humidity. If professional athletes can stop for water so can you.
Making sure that you are properly hydrated ensures that you are able to perform at your best and won’t experience any issues throughout your day. If you are in the Mississauga area and want to find out more about how you can perform at your best, make your appointment today with our team here The Core Optimum Health and Performance Centre.